Masters Etiquette Wrestling

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to MEW

Word Choice

GM Nomad
    Admin

Word Choice Empty Word Choice

Post by GM Nomad Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:55 am

- Word choice in RPs is extremely important to having a good RP.
    - Word choice in RPs is crucial to having a good RP.

That is a prime example of what I am talking about...

Those two sentences have the same meaning, but the second one has a better ring to it, its more convincing.

The same rule applies to RPs. It is especially important when adding actions to an RP.
    Actions are very important in RPs, because they break up dialogue, but it shouldn't seem that way. What I mean is that an action in an RP shouldn't seem like its only there to break up text, it should seem like a legitimate action, and word choice helps with this.

Observe:

The Hitman calmly walks into a dark room

Hitman: "Hello this is how word choice can be helpf---"

Suddenly, Mystic angrily hits The Hitman from behind with a bat

Okay, now I'm going to write the same thing, but with different words in the actions.

The Hitman casually steps into a dimly lit room

Hitman: "Hello this is how word choice can be helpf---"

Suddenly, Mystic violently strikes The Hitman from behind with a bat

Same thing happened... but there was definitely a difference... It isn't much, but it does change a good rp to being great.

think about it:
    -The Hitman falls to the ground holding his leg leg in pain
    -The Hitman drops to the ground grasping his leg in agony

Again, same meaning, but the second seems more powerful.

Now, having a good vocabulary helps with this, so if you don't have a great vocabulary, you will need to work harder to do this. Also, using the same descriptive words for something will become old, they lose the effect.

The Hitman lies on the ground, cringing in pain

Good action, good word choice, but if I use this every time i fall to theground in pain it isn't as cool, so try to change it up, sometimes that means changing the action in general maybe instead of cringing, I'm holding my leg, rolling around, or screaming. And sometimes its as
    little as changing "cringing in pain" to "writhing in pain" and switching it around.

This is an easy thing to do and it does make an RP look better.

That is your lesson...

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 12:14 pm